The Gull Lake Area Rotary Club was originally organized as the Rotary Club of Augusta, Michigan on September 20, 1954 and our Sponsor Club was the Rotary Club of Climax, Michigan. Our bell (the original-still in use today) displays this name.
Our Club was admitted to Membership in Rotary International on October 12, 1954 and we received our Charter on November 4, 1954. There were twenty-four charter members under the leadership of President T. Ben Johnson.
In the early days, our Club held its Thursday lunch meetings at a restaurant in Augusta. Over time, we became the Rotary Club of Augusta-Gull Lake.
With the closing of the Gull Harbor Inn in the late 60's, the Club met briefly at the Bay View Inn, at the south end of Gull Lake. Our next move placed us at the Stage Coach Inn, just north of the village of Richland. In 1976, we adopted our present name, The Rotary Club of Gull Lake Area (or GLARC).
The upper floor of the Stage Coach Inn served as our 'home' for nearly 30 years. However, in 2001, the Stage Coach Inn closed its doors for good, causing us to move to the Gull Lake Cafe, then to the beautiful and historic Kellogg Manor House, and then to the cafeteria of the Kellogg Biological Station.
In 2002, we moved to the Richland Township Hall on North 32nd Street and became a breakfast club. The move to mornings significantly increased our weekly attendance and helped the Club to grow.
In January of 2007, we moved to our present location at the Richland Area Community Center, 9400 East CD Avenue, Richland, Michigan.
The Rotary Club of Gull Lake Area was organized September 20, 1954
Applied for Charter October 12, 1954
Charter Received November 4, 1954
Virgil Andrews Joseph Memeth
Victor Broberg Lester Newkirk. Jr. Ford Campbell Spencer Bacon Owens
Phillip Clay Clare Richardson
John Dalbec J. Edward Robeson
J.B. Decker Edward Rogers
H.L. Dodge Carroll Schlueter
Garnet Haines Russell Simons
Warren Hazard Neil H. Smith
A.C. Hensell Warren Speers
T. Ben Johnston Thomas Walker
Kenneth Kirkbride Max Whipple